[haiku-development] Re: development paths

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 19:20:03 +0200

On 2011-07-20 at 01:12:23 [+0200], Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> in the course of changing the system directory structures to be more
> suitable for package management one of the relocation victims has been
> /boot/develop. Its contents has been split between /boot/system/develop
> (headers and lib) and /boot/common/develop (etc and tools). I just noticed
> that Oliver also started adjusting the paths for packages to use the
> develop/headers instead of the include subdirectory. I don't really mind
> either way, but whatever we do, we should aim for consistency.

Yeah, I suppose I was aiming for that, too, at the time.

> We could even go further and introduce a /boot/common/develop/lib as well
> and change the linker library search paths to no longer include
> /boot/common/lib.

I'd like that, since keeping the link-time libraries separate from the
runtime libraries is a good idea, IMHO.

> Thinking this even further it can be questioned whether
> we want /boot/system/develop at all. If /boot/system is supposed to contain
> only the core system -- i.e. a fully self-contained minimal Haiku -- then
> the development stuff, which is optional, should go into /boot/common
> anyway.

I don't think that /boot/system should only contain the minimal Haiku, but it
should contain everything that is part of Haiku or at least very closely
coupled. I consider the system (and compiler) headers to be so closely
coupled to the system that I'd favour having them in /boot/system, the same
goes for the link-time libraries.

If we are interested in providing a minimal Haiku, we can always split the
system package into several packages at a later stage.

cheers,
        Oliver