[haiku-development] Re: development paths

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 22:29:14 -0400

Ingo Weinhold wrote:

We could even go further and introduce a /boot/common/develop/lib as well and
change the linker library search paths to no longer include /boot/common/lib.
Thinking this even further it can be questioned whether we want
/boot/system/develop at all. If /boot/system is supposed to contain only the
core system -- i.e. a fully self-contained minimal Haiku -- then the
development stuff, which is optional, should go into /boot/common anyway.

Opinions? Alternate ideas/visions?

My personal preference as a user, would be to have the core system broken away from the dev tools. At some point I would imagine users may not wish to download allot of extra weight for things they will not take advantage of. Plus for beta, a user could get more useful things down the road. It also just makes more sense. Make the developer tools a optional package.

Sean