[haiku-development] Re: co-ordination for release of alpha

  • From: Zaranthos <Zaranthos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 22:10:53 -0600

Finished products are developed for users. Alpha products are largely in house products not meant for end user consumption at all. I understand your frustration because I'm a long time BeOS user who has been waiting for Haiku. The dilemma is do they release something that potentially makes the end product look bad because it's not ready for end user consumption or do they wait until the critical bugs are fixed? Personally I think Haiku has been ready for an alpha release for a long time now since I consider alpha products unstable and not feature complete. I like boot CD's I can use on real hardware and don't care for disk images you have to run in an emulator. Haiku has been perfectly capable of running on real hardware for well over a year now (at least some hardware) and the lack of an easy to use real hardware version seems to hurt the project more than help it. So I have some sympathy for both sides of the argument but definitely think there would be more benefits to some kind of release sooner rather than later. Ultimately that's not my call to make, or yours either since end users don't determine when software is released developers do. If we want it finished faster we either help develop it or donate lots of money so they can pay other people to do it. Your whining combined with mine doesn't bring a release any closer. :)

HubertMH@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Have not me for bad these questions, they result with worry only. Yes, I know then we are
"small group of people working in their free time". I talked from many testers
Haiku and they have much the same opinion, lack decided the workings in way of alpha.
I observed now that nielx is Release Coordinator that investigates the needed
steps, it was wished, that it has not Release manager.

scott mc: How you would read with understanding my post then you would
understand, that not, I'm not programmer, I'm user. I as user can not criticise
something what me it worries? Is system developed for developer or users?

Regards,
Hubert