[haiku-development] Re: configure --distro-compatibility

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:24:16 -0700

Hi Ingo,

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
is it save to assume that the --distro-compatibility option of our configure script has no popularity at all and can be removed again? I introduced it upon request more than two years ago to provide third-party distro makers with a build time switch to disable Haiku trademarks (respectivly enable the correct ones).The build system defines a build system variable and a preprocessor macro, neither of which are used in any Jamfile or source code (unless I missed something) despite having been readily for so long. Since the first release is almost upon us, we should either implement the feature or drop it altogether.

CU, Ingo

PS: The default "distro compatibility" level, which probably everyone is using, means "not Haiku compatible", which, at least theoretically, disables all Haiku trademarks. In practice, since it failed to be adopted, the configure switch doesn't have any effect.

Please forgive me for what may be dumb questions or if I am missing something (which might as well be the case):

1) Being that there are only two known Haiku distros (Senryu and TiltOS), what sort of adoption was expected?

2) Would you not expect the need for this sort of option to increase as time goes by and Haiku matures?

3) Even if the adoption rate is low, does it hurt to keep it?

I ask these questions because, perhaps in my ignorance, this sort of thing seems to be something that will be needed more (not less) in the future.

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki