[haiku-development] Re: config.guess/.sub

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:25:17 +0100

On 2009-01-26 at 08:29:12 [+0100], scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Any reason why we're not including the latest config.guess /
> config.sub files from gnulib in haiku, rather than patching older
> versions to add haiku support to them?

The config.{sub,guess} are installed by the automake and libtool packages.
We are simply using the versions they come with -- patched, if they have no
Haiku support yet. I wouldn't use any but those official versions.

> The latest versions can be obtained from gnulib:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob_plain;f=build-aux/config.guess
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob_plain;f=build-aux/config.sub

You are mistaken. Those two files are maintained in the Savannah "config"
project.

> I usually look for the timestamp and if I see a timestamp of 1-23-2008
> or earlier I assume it's not been updated for Haiku.
> This is probably the number one issue I run into when trying to port a
> package, is that they have an old (sometimes years old) config.guess,
> so when sending patches back upstream I usually remind them to also
> update those files.

And that's the only thing you can do. It doesn't matter at all what version
is included in Haiku's auto tools packages, if the packages to port still
come with some old version.

CU, Ingo