[haiku-development] Re: clang

  • From: Jonathon Omahen <composr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:40:23 -0700

I like a lot of the premise behind LLVM, in terms of having the
advantage of a newer architecture that GCC doesn't, having more
informative error messages, and a better customisation/plugin
architecture.  For these reasons, I'm pretty excited about seeing this
in Haiku development.

However, I don't appreciate the reasons for people pushing for LLVM as
a backlash against the GPL.  We can all have our licensing
disagreements, but I just don't think something like the GPL should
cause anyone to "hate" GCC.  But, I digress. :)

I'd be interesting in trying llvm native builds in Haiku for test
building some new 3rd-party apps.  I'm planning on writing a few
during a "coding holiday" (since my work will force me to use vacation
time :P).

Thanks for the info!