[haiku-development] Re: /apps and /preferences and the common folder

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 00:35:25 +0200 CEST

> Ideally, I'd love to see companies like nVidiea and AMD/ATI put
> drivers in
> /common, this way there is a clean seperation between Haiku
> components and
> 3rd party components, even when it comes to drivers.

You wish :)

> Going forward, when Haiku updates come along (eg. R2, R3 etc), a user
> will
> typically override their entire /boot/os directory.  Haiku inheriting
> from

It'd likely be handled by an updater app, or at worst unzipping a file,
neither of which replace the target folders.
Besides in beos/etc there are system config files you really don't want
to reset.

> BeOS still probably has the annoying directory replace vs directory
> merge
> problem when copying directories.  3rd party drivers which are still
> probably compatible will be destroyed.  Hence keeping 3rd party
> drivers in
> /common makes sense.  /boot/os should be off limits to everyone.  I'd
> even
> go as far as forbidding any user, even the superuser from touching /
> boot/os.

root cannot be restricted, or it's not root anymore.

>  Only the OS install process can do it, and that boots from seperate
> media
> or introduce a 'god' account.

root is god, there is noone above him.
I certainly don't want to go the windows route where not even windows
itself can do things it should.
I won't go into the usual troll about whether root should be allowed to
destroy the machine or not. Depends on spiritual beliefs in quantum
physics.

François.