[haiku-development] Re: /apps and /preferences and the common folder

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 21:31:37 +0200 CEST

> As for servers and Tracker/Deskbar... these are launched in the
> Bootscript
> and it would be trivial to check common or home/config for user
> provided
> replacements in the script. But there may be problems in the details,
> like
> the already mentioned application signatures. A lot of these apps
> work
> together and know each other by signature and have some messaging
> protocols
> which the follow and expect from each other. This is a form of "loose
> binding" but it's easy to break stuff anyways if you don't know what
> you're
> doing.

I was thinking about a specific mime, like for ex the BDeskbar
protocol,
a wannabe Deskbar app that would replace it would set itself as
prefered handler for that type.

> To sum up, for drivers, it is certainly intended to have user
> provided
> drivers override system drivers. But even there, it makes more sense

When we go multiuser drivers will obviously won't be scanned from the
user directory... I suppose we can trust root enough though...

François.