[haiku-development] Re: /apps and /preferences and the common folder

  • From: "Truls Becken" <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 17:16:40 +0200

Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Humdinger wrote:
>>
>> Quick question:
>> Shouldn't /apps and /preferences be moved to /common?
>
> In BeOS, /boot/preferences is a mix between links to system prefs, and prefs
> installed by the user, same for /boot/apps.
>
> Logically, I think it would be more correct to move it to /boot/common
> (there is no /apps, /preferences, or /common, btw), same for /boot/develop.
> Dunno if we should do it, though, since I guess some scripts and packages
> are referring to it, and we would break them this way.

How about ending the mix of links and binaries? Third party software
would go into /boot/common/apps, while /boot/apps would have symlinks
to binaries in both /boot/os/apps and /boot/common/apps.

The default entries in the Be/Leaf/Haiku menu could then be symlinks
to the folders /boot/apps, /boot/os/demos, /boot/preferences (and
/boot/applets ?). The user may choose to keep the symlink based
Be-menu or replace them with real folders containing links to only the
apps he wants, or even go all fancy and make it query based.

Scripts that refer to e.g. /boot/apps/StyledEdit (why would anyone use
full path to launch a program?) would still work since that's a
symlink to /boot/os/apps/StyledEdit. Installers that put binaries in
/boot/apps will work as well, although they will stand out since they
are not 100% correct. (When installing native Haiku packages, the user
should be asked whether to install in home or common)

> OTOH, I think we should rename /boot/beos to /boot/haiku (or /boot/os) - 3rd
> party software shouldn't need to directly refer to anything in /boot/beos,
> anyway, so the danger of breaking something is pretty low.

Remember that in Tracker /boot/haiku will look like /Haiku/haiku, so I
guess /boot/os is slightly better. I tend to prefer /boot/system, but
then you'd get /boot/system/system.

BTW, does anybody else feel that the organization of /boot/beos and
/boot/home/config could have been more consitent? Fonts, for instance,
are located inside etc in one and not in the other. Generally, some
stuff in etc should rather have been in system. One way to look at it
is that /boot/beos/system is the same as /boot/home/config, only with
bin and etc "dragged out" to be closer to the root of the file system.
With multiuser, maybe they should be "dragged in" again since they
become more private to the system when equivalents in /boot/common are
introduced? Maybe then it would be possible to make the three domains
have identical structure?

Truls