[haiku-development] alpha-profile raw-image size issues

  • From: Disreali <mdisreali@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 16:55:20 -0800 (PST)

Greeting,

I have just discovered the hard way that the raw and anyboot alpha-profile
images built on Haiku are to big to fit into the 690MB that the profile
currently allocates.  The space used is increasing quickly, note the following:

The haiku-alpha-r40364-gcc2hybrid-raw image that I built on Haiku-r40327 has
only 2MB free space.

According to <mmadia> : x86gcc2hybrid.alpha-raw.40457.haiku-alpha.image built
by BOM in FreeBSD has 1.05 MiB free.

My build of haiku-alpha-r40459-gcc2hybrid-raw failed due to lack of space with
the following error:

Extracting
/hdev/haiku/haiku/generated.x86gcc2/download/icu-4.4.1-x86-gcc4-2010-07-26.zip
Error while writing to file `/myfs/system/lib/gcc4/libicuuc.so.44': No space
left on device
Error: Command failed: No space left on device
Error: Command was:
  cp -f -r :/hdev/haiku/haiku/generated.x86gcc2/tmp/extract/./.
/myfs/system/lib/gcc4

I mentioned my experience on the haiku-dev irc channel and several possible
remedies were discussed and we all agreed that this issue needs to be discussed
further on this list.

The following are suggestions from the irc discussion:

strip symbols from optional packages

remove unneeded test suite from python pkg.

remove python's byte-compiled files; do that on first run

push use of squashfs

make autotools a separate optionalpackage that is not on the profile

remove Perl and/or python from the alpha profile

Re-target the alpha-profile toward end-users. Remove Perl and python (saves
100MB) and possibly other dev stuff. This way more end-user apps could be added
and the profile could still fit on a CD.

In conjunction with re-targeting the alpha-profile, create a new
"Developer-profile" that would fit on a DVD. Include Perl and python and many
other development related things. Possibly add more apps to be field tested,
ie: packageman

To re-iterate, this is an issue with the raw and anyboot alpha-profile images.
The alpha-CD ISO image does not have this issue.  Although I have only
experienced this when building on Haiku, given the data provided by MMadia, it
is logical to assume that it will soon be the same on the BOM FreeBSD built
images, if it is not already.

Hopefully we can solve this issue quickly so that it does not interfere with
the proposed Alpha3 schedule.

D-

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.