[haiku-development] Re: alpha release window ?

  • From: Brecht Machiels <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:16:13 +0000

Axel Dörfler wrote:
Brecht Machiels <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm aware of AmigaOS' assign implementation. It's just that assignfs would only work in this case if you can lay it over say /boot/ common/ and still see the original contents that are there on disk. That's not something that need or could be solved by using the assign command in AmigaOS.
There's no need to lay it over an existing path. You simply (single-assign) mount assignfs at /boot/common and assign everything you need to it. As I see it, /boot/common should only contain bundles anyway (read-only assign). If you really need to have other stuff in /boot/common besides the contents of bundles, you can always assign an extra directory to it. This directory can then be the write target of the assign.

That would work more or less for "common", but not really for the user's config folder - I would consider the need to have an extra directory for this a kludge, at least given our directory structure.

I'm not sure how you would handle the user's config folder. Can you elaborate? I haven't given that part any thought yet.

Regards,
Brecht