[haiku-development] Re: alpha release window ?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 15:22:34 +0200 CEST

Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:30 AM, François Revol<revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > We've been waiting for years, it can wait a week or two, right ? ;)
> I think the problem is that *still* nobody has really setup any sort
> of plan or roadmap to "freeze" the codebase... so everyone is simply
> left speculating. Nobody really knows what to expect between now and
> alpha, it's a giant unknown.
> I must say, after so many years, it has begun to feel like a lot of
> other FOSS projects where the users have no clue when something will
> happen, and eventually just get tired of waiting.

Well, completing Haiku is just a whole lot of work. It's not just the
users who have no clue, at least :-)
But since we now starting to get a clue, we might as well be open about
it, and actually all start working towards the actual release (and not
just bringing the code in shape).

Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> IMO the alpha shouldn't be rushed (yeah, even after waiting for it
> for at least a year
> now... :) ). This, of course, doesn't prevent us from beginning with
> the preparations.
> What's the word from our (was it "Release"?) Coordinator, M. Philippe
> St-Pierre? Anything
> going on behind the scenes?

Since Philippe seems to be MIA, and we should go forward with this at
least with some pace, I would volunteer to take over this job, although
I will probably be short on time over the next few weeks.

Beyond ATA vs. IDE, there is not much I would think should hold up the
alpha (can anyone reproduce #4188 besides stippi?).

So, without further ado, I would propose August 15 as code freeze (no
changes are made other than bug fixes, testing is intensified), and
September 1st as the actual release date. I would also propose
to branch the release only after the actual release, since I guess
everyone should be able to work on this, and only on this for two weeks

For the release to work, we need to sort out download locations
(BerliOS, SF, BitTorrent, haiku-files.org?), and bring the
documentation on the website, and what goes on to the release in shape.

We also need to remove any packages that are problematic patent/license
wise (as ffmpeg encoding), and make packages available for those who
may download them.
We need to review if anything is missing from the image that should be
on it, and anything that is on it, but shouldn't be.

Are there any volunteers to be responsible for any of these things?
Is the schedule doable? Do we need more time? If so, how much, and for

(I've cross-posted this to haiku-web as well, and I hope Jorge's new
design can be deployed in time, too)


Other related posts: