[haiku-development] Re: alpha release window ?

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:12:46 +0200 CEST

"Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think the alpha release is the only one where we really
> have to talk about extra apps - for later releases, I think
> the package manager will take care of the extra apps,

In the meantime if one could make Expander recognize
zip files meant for /boot/ (by content inspection, a
certain file, or a non-zip filename extension) it could
nudge a person to expand to the right destination path.

By showing a BAlert explaining where the zip has to go,
offering to do so, and promising a package manager some
time in the future, this would help newcomers install
optional packages, edutaining them a little, and would
ease the minds of those expecting a package manager.

/Jonas.