[haiku-development] Re: alpha release window ?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 21:32:12 -0700

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:30 AM, François Revol<revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> We've been waiting for years, it can wait a week or two, right ? ;)

I think the problem is that *still* nobody has really setup any sort
of plan or roadmap to "freeze" the codebase... so everyone is simply
left speculating. Nobody really knows what to expect between now and
alpha, it's a giant unknown.

I must say, after so many years, it has begun to feel like a lot of
other FOSS projects where the users have no clue when something will
happen, and eventually just get tired of waiting.

At this point, I usually just tell people if they're waiting to use
Haiku, they might as well just try it out now, as otherwise they're
likely to forget about it and go find something else interesting to
occupy their minds. What else can I tell them?

Note: I'm not trying to be an ass, but a little criticism here is
probably worth mentioning. In some ways, I believe the whole thing has
become a joke outside the Haiku community - kinda like Duke Nukem
Forever.

Feel free to tell me how wrong I am :)

- Urias