[haiku-development] Re: (abandoned?) OptionalPackages still awaiting rebuild or should be just drop them from alpha3?

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 16:02:12 -0700

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 01:33:27PM -0700, scottmc wrote:
>                   It's been awhile since I used OpenSound, anyone
> tried it since the recent IO-APIC fixes?  I wonder if the long startup
> delay is still there?
I've been trying to see if I can get OpenSound working on the laptop
under a current build.  Last night I did get sound out, using the files
that were originally there (dating from 2009, I think).  The usual wait
after boot before it would work was still there.  I've replaced them
today with the current optional package, and so far have complete
silence!  Maybe I haven't waited long enough yet...

I'm beginning to think OSS is a bit of a waste of time.  The audio buffer
size is 16384, which gives a latency of 1/3 sec!  There seems to be no
easy way to change this, and it makes it useless for me.  (This latency
is also probably the reason for the silence.  Don't really understand why,
but I had the same problem on my machine using auich until I found that a
settings file that reduces the buffer size to 256 should be installed.
[ticket #7284])

        -- Pete --