[haiku-development] Re: (abandoned?) OptionalPackages still awaiting rebuild or should be just drop them from alpha3?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 16:32:25 +0200

Hi,

Am 01.06.2011 22:18, schrieb pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 11:40:22AM +0200, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
On 01.06.2011 01:02, pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 01:33:27PM -0700, scottmc wrote:
                   It's been awhile since I used OpenSound, anyone
tried it since the recent IO-APIC fixes?  I wonder if the long startup
delay is still there?

I've been trying to see if I can get OpenSound working on the laptop
under a current build.  Last night I did get sound out, using the files
that were originally there (dating from 2009, I think).  The usual wait
after boot before it would work was still there.  I've replaced them
today with the current optional package, and so far have complete
silence!  Maybe I haven't waited long enough yet...

Waited for what? Someone to suddenly have the motivation and skill to
improve the OSS port? Maybe it needs to be you...

Sorry -- you completely misunderstood my meaning there! (:-/)  As Denis
points out in another post, I meant the wait between boot-up and sound
actually working.  This is a long-standing problem for a number of people
(but not others, it seems).

And sorry if I misread the tone of your mail. ;-)

I think, you did, sorta...! (:-))

Perhaps we can agree on "sorta"... :-) While I misunderstood what you meant by "waiting", you did say that OSS was useless, a waste of time and changing the buffer size would probably be complex. Reading again what I wrote to that, I think my response was pretty OK. :-)

But thanks for the code pointers, which give me a lot better idea of
what's going on.  It'll be easier to take another look, now.

Cool, I was hoping it would be useful.

However, I think I'm going to take this opportunity to make a point
from the other end of the see-saw.  I've submitted a number of patches
and other fixes which for various reasons are vital to me, and most
have been completely ignored.  This is highly discouraging to someone
who has put quite a lot of effort into them.  I now just have to rely
on custom builds to have a Haiku that works for me.  Viz.:

#4463 Add multi-ports support to USB MIDI driver
   I updated the usb_midi code to make it fully (USB-MIDI) standard compliant.
   This was three months ago, and it is still sitting there.  (Admittedly
   is isn't guideline compliant, but it is still largely older non-guideline
   code;  I adhered to its conventions rather than mixing things up.)
   It's central to my Haiku use.

A nudge once in a while seems to help, it's been committed now. I know it's frustrating if patches just rot, but the other side of the story is that when patches would need coding style cleanup, or are not ready for some other reason, it is easy to put looking into them on some virtual TODO list and then forgetting about them after a while. At least whenever I can finally make some time for Haiku, working off the backlog of patches I should look at is not the first thing that pops into my head. Sometimes when people are persistent enough with patches that fall into my area of expertise, I try to simply make the time, though.

#7182 Fixing Menu keyboard navigation
   While working on a fix some PopupMenu deficiencies, which was committed
   -- thank you Ryan -- I noted that keyboard menu navigation was also
   broken, so I spent some time developing a fix for that.  Ignored for
   four months.

Please CC me in the ticket for Interface Kit patches. Given my current lack of time, I should probably not be the default owner of that Trac component, but it means I don't get notified, unfortunately.

#7284 auich.settings not installed
   This is just some missing information, but it seems that I'm not
   the only one affected.  (It causes the same delayed sound as occurs
   with OSS.)

Just from looking at your description, it sounds like the wrong fix to the problem. Why should a settings file be installed? That would effectively change the default settings of the driver. If you mean to fix the default settings, however, they should be fixed in the driver instead. Settings files are for when you want to have something different from the default settings.

#7285 BSoundPlayer sends buffers late, with ever-increasing latency
   This is the biggie for me.  It has only been in the pile in final
   form for a couple of weeks, but I've been working on it for most of
   this year.  Without this patch, there is no real-time audio on my
   system.

That one sounds interesting. Again, I didn't notice the patch, sorry.

#7548 Patch to make vertical BSliders work
   OK -- this one is less than 2 weeks old, so I don't really expect
   it to have been committed yet, but I would like it to be noticed! (:-)
   I have some vertical sliders, so it is important to me.

Need to look at that one as well. I thought vertical slider worked, but sounds like they don't.

Best regards,
-Stephan