[haiku-development] Re: Zoom sucks and what to do about it

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 19:55:10 +0100

On 01/31/2015 02:21 AM, John Scipione wrote:
Adrien Destugues wrote:
Tracker is an example that implements what I consider the correct
behavior: the Zoom button should size the window just big enough to make
its contents visible. There is no need to make the window use the whole
display or nearly the whole display area if it doesn't need it.
Each app should zoom a bit differently based on its needs. The zoom
behavior on Tracker is one example, and a good one, we need a few more.

BTW that's my opinion as well: each window should change its size to the best usable. That might be making it as tight as possible (in case of Tracker), but it might also be full screen.

For example WebPositive could zoom to fit the contents of the webpage.

Not really; many web sites don't have any idea about their size requirements, so this is just not possible. For WebPositive, I think switching to full screen is completely okay (and even what I would expect).

[...]
Forthly, nothing prevents us from covering Deskbar in the cases that it
makes sense to, right now we cover Deskbar out of laziness, not design.

Such a solution should definitely be implemented once at a common place, like the default implementation of BWindow::Zoom(). This would have the benefit that you can easily make this a user option.

[...]
position and do the right thing. It does create a reliance on BDeskbar
though and probably shouldn't be the default action in BWindow.

Huh?

Bye,
   Axel.