[haiku-development] Re: Writing a filesystem driver

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 00:57:51 +0000

Michael Franz <mvfranz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  I would like to see hard links implemented in BFS.  Any idea
> how hard that would be to complete?

It wouldn't be hard to have some support, but as Rene pointed out, the
on disk structure does not support this.
To be able to use Mercurial, I was already tempted to implement it, but
that would have to be turned on mantually (ie. via a #define), and
also, it would not work correctly with queries; only a single entry
would be visible. In any case, I'm not sure spending time on extending
BFS in this way is time well spent - it would probably be a better idea
to implement a new file system based on ideas found in more recently
developed file systems (but, of course, still with support for
queries).

Bye,
   Axel.