[haiku-development] Re: Wrapping up R1 alpha 2

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:46:27 +0200

On 2010-04-17 at 18:14:15 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 15:39, Stefano Ceccherini
> <stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 2010/4/17 PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >>  * We add the locale kit (too hard to remove it now anyway), but do we
> >> include catalogs ? Do we make it public ?
> >
> > For it to be public, its api should be stabilized. Is It ?
>
> In an earlier r1a2 thread, Rene suggested:
> {{{
>     We could do something like what Be did where they're available in an
>     experimental namespace to indicate that they may not stay ABI-stable
>     in the future.
> }}}

Don't know if Rene was explicitly referring to the Locale Kit, but we already
know at this moment in time that it *will* change soon. So I think releasing
it does not make sense. Let's stabilize it first and then release it as
experimental API. Once more external developers have ported their
applications to it and we are sure the API is ok, we can make it public.

So, from my point of view, let's leave it (the API) out of r1a2.

cheers,
        Oliver