[haiku-development] Re: Wrapping up R1 alpha 2

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 15:11:36 +0200

Hi Ingo,

On 17 April 2010 11:36, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> using the momentum of the rather productive BeGeistert coding sprint, I
> guess now is the perfect time to initiate the final launch sequence for the
> alpha 2 release. Haiku, Inc. accepted my contract proposal for focussed
> work on the alpha 2 release [1], I'm offering to take over the not
> particularly popular task of the (technical) release coordination (*) at
> least until my contract ends (expected in early May), but, if my spare time
> permits, hopefully until the release. I would like to start a vote on
> appointing me the release coordinator on Monday and, to not waste time,
> also start acting preliminarily in that position at the same time. Unless
> concerns are raised that is.

Why not start the vote right now? I offer my time as a wing man to
take care of the non-dev stuff in case you'd like the help.

> Regarding the organization of the release I propose the following:
>
> * The 10th of May (Monday) is the official release date. To allow for some
> time to spread the final image to the download mirrors the final version
> should be tagged and built a day before.

I would suggest doing the tagging a bit earlier; I would like to see
the final images getting some testing. What about tagging at May 6?

> * The release branch should be created on Monday.
>
> * All developers continue to make their changes in the trunk. Only the
> release coordinator will commit changes to the branch.

What are the criteria? Fix-only?

> * The release coordinator will monitor the ongoing trunk activity and list
> all change sets on a Wiki page. All release-relevant change sets will need
> to pass a review (by any other developer or by the release coordinator)
> before being merged into the release branch. (**) The idea behind the
> review process is to ensure a high quality of the changes that end up in
> the release branch.

I guess this does not differ from the previous workflow, but why not
have devs put 'Alpha2' in their commit message. The manual work of
maintaining a wiki page is replaced with the magic of a query.

> * A discussion/vote must be held what optional features to include. This
> should be finished during the next week.

I guess we are talking about optional packages, right? Because I doubt
a month will be long enough to make feature changes, right?

In any case, we can have an open call in a separate thread, and see
what packages of the alpha1 set could be removed, and which ones could
be added.

> (**) While there's always the release coordinator to review patches of
> other developers, someone else would have to review his patches. We'll have
> to see how that works out.

I'd say: release coordinator's privilege. Though last time I thought
axeld and stippi both maintained the alpha1 branch, so if you get help
this theoretical problem is solved.