[haiku-development] Re: Working on Haiku's Mail app

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:11:28 -0800

Hi Joachim!

Humdinger wrote:
I just hid the button bar, because it wasn't concerned by the proposed changes. Since it can be hidden, it's not the best place for header info like the status.

Yes, but a "before and after" comparison is only meaningful if the "before" is shown how it really looks in its original state -- the default state -- and with all its essential elements, which the button bar is. :)

Anyway, I was actually not suggesting that the status itself be displayed in the bottom bar, but that the functionality to change the status (visual + popup menu) be placed in the button bar. Since this bar is already used for buttons that provide visual shortcuts to various operations such print, delete, reply, and forward, it seems like the most logical place for a change status button/icon.

As explained, it doesn't take much space, no additional vertical space, and looks good. Especially for mailing lists is nice as the avatar would practically show the somewhat hidden To-field.

If any of the fields become "somewhat hidden," it's probably because something else is taking too much space. :)

But moving GUI elements around makes the interface noisy. I'd prefer to lose one line for the mail contents than having e.g. the subject line trunkated because the list of attachments compresses everything horizontally. Email being traditionally 80 chars wide, limits the useful window width.

Yes, but that's actually an argument for having more (and not less) vertical space, as the email messages (in the Haiku mail app) don't use the full width of the window and thus stretch further vertically, making that vertical space even more precious. IOW, space-wise, displaying messages is more expensive vertically than horizontally, so it makes sense to try to maximimize vertical space as much as possible. :)

The wider displays are better used by Stack&Tiling e.g. a query window beside it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if two windows are tiled, they share the same width; so, how is this relevant?

Of course we can always wish for some solution that can parse ten thousands of files instantly and some clever software solution to sort them all without much computation... But even so: If you know you're looking for a mail of sometime last month, why would you want to go through a file list of 10.000 entries.

Back in the day, when I used to demo ZETA at various events and conferences (remember the good old days BGA?! :) ), that's exactly what I used to do: I had 30 - 40K emails, I would run queries with multiple criteria that would give me anything between a few dozen to several hundred hits, and it worked reasonably well to support the claim of live queries. You make it sound like only a miracle would make this possible in Haiku, but I think it's more a matter of giving the devs time to resolve the existing issues; hopefully I am not being naively optimistic here... :)

BTW, I really like your proposed layout for the writing mode; it is much tidier and compact than the existing layout. Way to go!

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki