[haiku-development] Re: Working on Caya and Mail app for GSoC

  • From: Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 00:13:51 +0200

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 03:26, Clemens wrote:

> are we still taking about mapping local contacts to contacts on the server?
> If yes there is no clean and elegant way to handle this with a userland
> server. You always have to watch the filesystem for local changes and if the
> local server is not running you don't know whats going on locally and its
> very difficult to decide what to do on the next sync.

My reaction to the above was; isn't this problem solvable? What if it
was possible to tell the system that you wanted it to not only deliver
live filesystem notifications, but also record the changes until you
ack them?

When a server starts up, it can pull all the undelivered
notifications, solving the issue about not listening 24/7.

I'm not saying that this is in any way better than introducing a new
FS. Just throwing the idea out there. It avoids complications you
might have about when and where to mount the FS. On the other hand,
the notification queue could grow unacceptably large if applications
register for acked notifications and then never come back to fetch the
backlog.

A userland metadata or fulltext indexer might have the same problem,
by the way. In the extreme since it wants to see all changes.

-Truls