[haiku-development] Re: Wish List/GSoC Ideas

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:57:48 +0100

Am 23.01.2011 04:02, schrieb Ryan Leavengood:
On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Sean Healy<jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

1) Windows/SMB Shares

I know this one has been attempted before. I have looked into some of
the other file systems (in the kernel add-ons), and it seems as though
Haiku's design makes it pretty easy to interface with the OS.

This would certainly be useful and there really isn't any good reason
why it was not done before in the GSoC, except that maybe we picked a
bad student. I'm am now of the opinion that if a project was not
successfully completed in the GSoC before it should then graduate to
being done by a more experienced Haiku developer.

We picked the wrong student, indeed. But I wouldn't mind having the SMB project in GSoC again. I still think it's great for GSoC and the time available.

4) Word Processor

I know that there's an agreement of some kind with Gobe/Blue Lotus, but
that's in the future. None of the word processors I've found available
for download will actually run on Haiku. (With the Gobe Productive 2.0
trial, I can at least read .doc files on Haiku.)

If someone could find the time or motivation to work on Gobe (under
NDA) that might help but maybe long term we just need a brand new
written from scratch and designed for Haiku word processor. Looking at
the complexity of modern web browsers it does make me wonder if it
would be possible to leverage WebKit and its layout engine in a word
processor (but without doing HTML behind the scenes.)

Difficult subject. I agree that WebKit contains already a lot of code for this. At the same time it makes me wonder why do anything at all, why not just use Google Docs? It would leverage WebKit in a similar way. :-)

(That being said I would love a fully integrated LyX...)

8) Windows Emulation

I don't know, most of the programs I care about are already
multi-platform and probably would be easier to port than getting Wine
working in Haiku. I wouldn't even want to imagine what all is needed
to get something like Photoshop going in Wine.

It would be a mess and never work perfectly. I wouldn't want it, to be honest. An emulator would work better, for the case when I absolutely don't want to just reboot into Windows... Somehow I think having a compatibility layer for a platform like Windows limits the purpose of writing and using an alternative OS. I want great native apps, too many ports and compatibility layers make everyone lazy... :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan