[haiku-development] Re: Who's working Haiku's on UI/UX?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 06:58:24 -0500

On , Axel Dörfler wrote:

Am 18.05.2015 um 11:50 schrieb fox noodles:
[...] I didin't like the transparent hidden scrollbars when they
first appeared either. But I know that they are better.

While I think Stephan came on a little strong, I agree with him that
your discussion style is pretty offensive, and I learned from that
that you obviously don't deal well with criticism.

+1, this thread is turning into all anger and no substance.

In any case: you lose information with the scrollbars, that IMO the
real screen estate that you win really doesn't make up for, no matter
if you actually click on it or not (which I find myself doing pretty
often -- and I'm constantly annoyed to have to scroll like forever on
smart phones to get close to the bottom of a page).

+1. A consistent UI is the most important feature to me. Once you lose
consistency usability goes out the window. I've seen countless users
confused and frustrated at Unity sucking up title bars, moving window
buttons, and disappearing scroll bars.

I wouldn't mind make them transparent at all to win more space (thanks
to layout spacing, you'll rarely find anything under them, anyway),
but removing them by default on a big screen is just a superfluous and
counterproductive optimization.

Indeed. My desktop monitor is 1920x1200, why should I care about the huge
usability impact of disappearing scroll bars saving 15 pixels in width at
most? Mouse scroll wheels are handy, but in long documents where people
do real research you can only spin that scroll wheel so fast.

Having said all that, I'm looking forward to your first concepts and
ideas. While I like the Haiku look&feel a lot, it surely does not look
very modern.

Per my points. Fox noodles, come back with mock ups.

-- Alex