[haiku-development] Re: Who's working Haiku's on UI/UX?

  • From: Ithamar Adema <ithamar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 09:57:55 +0200

Hi Humdinger,

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 18 May 2015 at 09:15, fox noodles <foxnoodles@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As you said, this idea to hide the scrollbar seems to come from
touch-devices, or at least became popular with those. On a mouse
operated desktop system however, you generally want/need to see what
you want to click.

But as previously said, depending on how well scroll-wheel (or scrolling
using touchpad) is implemented, you mostly scroll using that, not using the
scrollbars. I really don't think that this particular feature has much to
do with touch devices imho.
Also, most OSses these days have proper scrolling speeds, so giving the
wheel (or touchpad) a "whirl" accelerates the scrolling properly, so even
fast scrolling multiple pages works quite efficiently that way, without
having to move the cursor to the scrollbar.

Or maybe it's just me... I never liked auto-hiding stuff like menus and
taskbar.

I generally agree with that, for exactly your "see what you want to click"
argument. But scrollbars have lost a lot of their use since the mouse wheel
touchpad scrolling was implemented ;)

All my personal opinion of course...

Ithamar.