[haiku-development] Re: Which branch to use while working on code base?

  • From: JD Guzman <lostinthecode@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:33:13 +0000

On 12/17/2009 04:16 PM, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
> On 2009-12-17 at 16:52:25 [+0100], JD Guzman <lostinthecode@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

>>> Well, for bugfixing you should really work on trunk, since it's the
>>> current development branch.
>>> Unless you intend to work on large changes you shouldn't need a
>>> separate branch.
>>>

>> Fair enough, but is there a reason for the discrepancy between the r1
>> branch and trunk?  As an example the r1 version of Mail has the Inbox
>> and Mail buttons while the trunk version doesn't.
>>
> According to "svn log" they have been removed on purpose in r33616, because
> they were considered useless.

so i take it then that the received emails are accessed directly through
the file system then?

>> Also the mail_daemon
>> seems to be buggy in trunk while in r1 I was able to successfully use
>> it.
>>
> Well, that's how the trunk works: You get all the newest features and
> improvements, but also the newest instabilities and bugs. :-) If that
> hasn't been done yet, please create tickets in our bug tracker for the
> issues you find.
>
> CU, Ingo

I guess it's really just a matter of learning the way things work here.
I'm used to working on a development branch and leaving trunk as stable
as possible.  It is really of no consequence just a matter of different
work flow styles.

Thanks for the prompt response though :).

Cheers,

JD