[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 10:10:28 -0500

On , Paweł Dziepak wrote:
<kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

On , Ingo Weinhold wrote:
On 20.08.2014 18:26, Sia Lang wrote:
On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 6:02 PM, Ryan Leavengood
<leavengood@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
It is a lot to ask the Haiku community to abandon our current
approach
for what sounds like a prototype.

Totally agree, I'm not asking anyone to jump ship and join me.

I am however asking the Haiku community to consider if the kernel
choice
made 14 years ago still makes sense. It's painful to leave a huge
amount
of work behind in the dust, but there's still so much Haiku work
that
would have a great life on top of a Linux or BSD based BeOS. With
all
the up-sides mentioned before (busses and drivers abound!)

Unless I miss someone, of the Haiku developers (counting committers
only) who posted in this thread no one strictly opposed the idea of
switching to another kernel and most even seem to consider this an
interesting option.

 -1

 Fixing the few remaining kernel bugs and getting a release out is
more
 important than trying to move everything over to a Linux kernel
(which would
 likely push any further releases back *years* given our current
workforce.)

 Yes, it is rough to keep up with hardware drivers. However it can be
done and
 we do support a *lot* of hardware at the moment. Do we support the
latest
 fancy IceWire 2015 hardware? No. (that wasn't a real thing btw)

 Do we support enough hardware for day-to-day desktop use?  I think
so.

 We've crossed the catch 22 of kernel design.  We support the
*basics*, now
 lets get a solid release out to attract developers who like Haiku
enough to
 make them *want* to write drivers for their shiny new IceWire 2015
hardware.

It is not only about drivers (though it would be nice to have a proper
power management), but also about much better performance (especially
in terms of scaling on multicore processors) and features (e.g. kvm,
lvm).

Here is a quick survey to get peoples feelings on this (public results)
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1idhhOv9uSy9Dpp_8xQez-jtPtbZEItAChYBwsk7cgoI/viewform?usp=send_form

 -- Alex