[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 23:26:42 +0200

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 11:18 PM, Fredrik Holmqvist <
fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At this point is probably much faster to just help fix things in Haiku
> than starting from scratch no matter what kernel you pick :)

Well, user land can probably stay mostly Haiku code, kernel would be
different, and some low-level glue to make the two "dig" each other.... I
can see how it could work, at least up to some point. Although yes there is
kernel support for some of the user land layers you are mentioning, it is
easy to _not_ use them (not even compile them in), and pick and choose the
simpler ones.

Anyway, I think we can spend a lot of time discussing theory, I'd much
rather see the code, and the results of running the code, and have a
discussion based on actual results. So let's give him the time to get the
codebase online and show us :)

I, for one, would be _very_ interested to see how well this could work...

(For a historical reference, there was another attempt long ago called
Cosmoe, which got to a much further point then Blue(Eyed)OS, and was indeed
reusing most of the Haiku code for user land in the process).

Ithamar.