[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: "Andrew Hudson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "hudsonco1@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 14:41:08 -0400 (EDT)

>http://haiku-os.org/legacy-docs/writing-video-card-drivers ?

>François.

>Yes, it was an interesting reading but unfortunately the Chapter 6 (Writing
>the Driver) was never finished
>I've seen this document in numerous places, for years, & always hoped that it
>would be finished by those with the knowledge to do so. Sadly, it never
>happened. This could have ended up being the most important driver document
>for BeOS/Haiku. It's missing >far more than just chapter 6. Maybe developers
>will drift in & flesh it out more as time goes own 7 with the proper
>motivation. It might be beneficial to ping past video driver writers & ask
>them to take a few moments of their time to contribute to the document. >The
>worst that could happen is that they say 'no'. But, if they say 'yes'...

>--
>Regards,
>A. D. Sharpe, Sr.

>I second that, the article was very good.

No article will ever have enough details on how to write a functional video
card device driver. If you really want to write a video card device driver
you must go to the source code and figure it out. Recompile it, make changes,
understand what the kernel wants, put the time in. This is how it is done.

Otherwise you are just arm chair coding. I encourage you to make the leap and
just go do it.

Andrew