[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:48:21 +0200

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 01:34:42PM +0300, varjosanomat wrote:

> On 2014/08/28, at 12:59, Joe Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> Maybe there are other suggestions around? What should I do next?
> >

> Trying to post here, hope i’m not top posting, if so, sorry.
>
> Great work with webkit and all that other stuff Adrien! As I have not yet
> contributed to haiku in cold, hard cash I really feel I have no say in the
> matter but just an idea:

Thats fine, contributing ideas is useful too.

> Help pushing the ARM port towards finishing would be great. Half baked
> support for the multitude of antiquated hardware on the PC side is time
> wasted in my books. The size and speed of haiku is a perfect match for low
> powered arm-boards (pi,beagle black,parallella ) that currently run ubuntu or
> some other unusably slow version of linux. These boards are all low cost to
> acquire, not out of reach for haiku enthusiasts I would think. Also they make
> ecological sense with the low power consumption.
>
> At least the parallella drivers are all fully open source and could be worked
> on with relative ease. And the platform is not horribly underpowered like the
> PI.
>
> Forgetting everything that didn’t come out in 2014 is the only way forward
> IMHO.

But the problem is the same: without access to the hardware this is not
going to happen. Also, I think it is more important to get our R1
release done before we move on to new targets.

That being said, the ARM port is interesting and I've been working on
it, but not during my contract time with Haiku, inc, only on my free
time.

--
Adrien.