[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: "A. D. Sharpe" <demetrioussharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 03:52:44 -0600

On 8/22/2014 11:10 PM, Thomas Mueller wrote:
If such a bastardized (?) Haiku on Linux kernel (Laiku?) were available for
download, I might well try it, if it could run from a USB stick or GPT
hard-drive partition.

There would be the feeling that if it were on a Linux kernel, I might prefer a
non-Haiku/BeOS interface.

Let's see what haoppens before passing judgement.
As I stated in another reply to one of Sia's responses, the NewOS/Haiku kernel is tailored for the job at hand. Changing the kernel will result in quite a catastrophe. I can't wait for people to try using this thing & realize how the feeling of responsiveness is going to be missing. It takes a very specific type of kernel to run this userland.

So I've said "Linux or *BSD" numerous times. My current work is on top of
Linux but I would be fine with a FreeBSD kernel as well (supporting both
isn't impossible)
Sia.
I pointed out that there is precedent for such a hybrid.

I believe Arch, Debian and Gentoo are porting their Linux userland and
framework to run on FreeBSD kernel but with no intention of dropping their
Linux-proper development.

I was never interested in that, figured I'd rather use FreeBSD userland and
ports on FreeBSD kernel, and a GNU/Linux framework on Linux kernel.

Linux and FreeBSD kernels offer USB 3.0 support.

Some, or should I say, many, Linux device drivers are better than their FreeBSD
counterparts.

One that sticks out with me is Ethernet on MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard: FreeBSD
(OpenBSD and DragonFly too) recognize Realtek 8111E but fail to connect, but
good with Linux, NetBSD and Haiku R1Alpha4.
That's not, at all, the same thing. Switching to one Unix derived kernel from another Unix derived kernel isn't the same thing as switching a completely different family of kernels to a Unix derived kernel. There's a difference & it's pretty huge.

--
Regards,
A. D. Sharpe, Sr.