[haiku-development] Re: WebPositive misleading tool tip on new tab

  • From: Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:14:15 -0500

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 26.02.2013 um 21:01 schrieb Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> What we could do to address Justin's points, however, is adding another
>> button, ie. a maximize button.
>>
>> Applications that use the zoom button as de facto maximum button would then
>> actually show a maximum button. I would guess only few apps would sport the
>> two of them (which would probably make the UI look a bit crowded, if I
>> remember MUI right).
>>
>> At least in that case, for a media player, a maximize button could actually
>> go full screen, though ;-)
>
> I like that idea!

This is a little troubling to me though. In VLC for instance, there
are distinctly different times that I want to view maximized (when I
want to keep an eye on my taskbar, the time, etc) vs when I want zero
distractions (true full screen). Both modes require a double click
from me... either on the title bar, or the video itself... so I can
quickly switch between them as I choose.

I rarely want to view something at it's true native resolution, and if
I do I can reach it by going to "video -> zoom -> 1:1", aside from
videos generally opening up at 1:1 by default (or as large as they can
given the desktop resolution).

While Axel's idea sounds neat at first... I think it again leads to a
bit of ambiguity between maximizing and full screening when you add in
the media player example.

I do like the idea of an app offering a specific "zoom" button that is
unambiguously different from "maximize" if the behavior of it differs
from your general "maximize". Sort of a best of both worlds.

But usually I don't want an app to go TRULY "full screen" and hide all
the controls etc unless I specifically really meant to do so, and that
is a much more rare use case outside of watching videos (and thus, I
think, a bit of a waste of a titlebar button, aside from the
aforementioned ambiguity.)

--
猿も木から落ちる