[haiku-development] Re: WebPositive & IPv6 DNS (NetPositive missing symbol?)

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:03:17 -0800 (PST)

To briefly recap, when we left this subject about a year ago, the
Curl functions in WebPositive don't specify IPv4 only, which leads
getaddrinfo() to resolve both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.  Where the
actual DNS server doesn't respond to IPv6 queries, this causes a
timeout of some seconds, per configured DNS server, which can add up
to a very significant delay in page load.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like nothing new here in alpha 4 -
same timeouts, same slow load.  The bind patches appended to #8293
haven't been applied, and WebPositive still doesn't specify IPv4
(which I wouldn't propose as the right solution anyway.)

So ... just wondering how others are getting along with this - has
some work-around been discovered?

thanks,
        Donn