[haiku-development] Re: WebKit SSE2 requirement

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 07:47:58 +0200

On Sat, Oct 04, 2014 at 07:53:08PM +0300, Alex-P. Natsios wrote:
> Depending on the amount of work that is i do agree with Alexander.
> Obviously the best course of action would be to disable or enable everywhere.
> Webkit is moving, FAST so does the WEB itself. I don't really think
> there is any point in any system that old to expect a decent web
> experience (and yes i do have systems that old but i don't browse the
> web on them).
>
> I am not sure since i haven't played with Webkit but trying to support
> either and placing support in old systems when Webkit itself is
> ignoring them isn't that much more work for you too Adrien?

They are supporting old systems, but without the JIT. That's how the
win32 builds of WebKit will ship from now on. It may not be long until
the JIT starts requiring more of the 64bit instruction set, then.

I have an Athlon XP machine here and the web is decently browsable with
it, both in Haiku and Windows. I find it sad to let those machines
unsupported, and the development effort is not that big, it's just
toggling a compile time flag to remove the JIT. I can write an
haikuports recipe that does it, but I won't take the time to build the
no-JIT version of WebKit, so someone else will have to take care of
that.

--
Adrien.