[haiku-development] Re: Voting procedure (was: Checking consistency of used strings)

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:52:13 +0100

-- Niels Reedijk, on Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:43:43 +0100:
> Here's the summary: Humdinger decides to make the strings more
> consistent. He is willing to invest time in that. He puts some
> guidelines up for input, and people have a discussion where two
> different viewpoints are there.

Yes. Actually, originally I only proposed to make the current style
(title case) consistent. In the ensuing discussion the alternative,
"sentence case", was brought up. That alone made the discussion
worthwhile IMO, as I didn't even consider any other style in the
beginning.

> At that point I would say that Humdinger can decide from the
> discussion which solution has his preference. I imagine (secretly) he
> already has a preference. I am worried that he still feels the need
> call for a vote. My viewpoint is that as he does the work, he can
> decide what to do.

While this may be appropriate for other coding work, like deciding
about what possible implementation to choose, changing the GUI affects
all Haiku users and deserves therefore more caution. Granted, it's
maybe not earth chattering, but subtle changes do influence how Haiku
is perceived and its philosophy is expressed. "Sentence case" fits IMO
better to Haiku's simple and elegant approach.

Maybe my perception was a bit skewed. At the start of the thread much
discussion revolved around what kind of "title case" we should use.
Only later "sentence case" was brought up, and from the votes so far,
it looks like that's the alternative everyone can live with. I actually
anticipated quite a few "title casers"...

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de