[haiku-development] Re: Voting procedure (was: Checking consistency of used strings)

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:56:36 +0100

On 2009-12-15 at 22:17:40 [+0100], Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > It's good to have a discussion on voting. If you look at the past
> > votes, I think that one conclusion we can draw is that there is very
> > little interest in most votes that are held. I think there are about
> > 64 people in the developer group (that is from a quick count on
> > dev.haiku-os.org). I didn't do accurate counts, so feel free to correct
> > me, but I think that most votes hardly get more than 10 voters per vote.
>
> I think in some cases, there will be a large number of people who don't
> actually care about the outcome of the vote - for those individuals, they
> simply don't vote at all - but perhaps we should instead request an
> "Abstinence" vote from these people indicating that for a particular
> topic they are indeed neutral.
>
> This way, we won't always be wondering where all the other voters have
> gone - and we know they're still paying attention ;)

Please no. If someone starts a discussion and then later a vote, it is
being done to get input from others and to make a decision. If both these
criteria are met, I can't see anything wrong with how we do things
currently, and IMHO we are in pretty good shape, the project moves forward.
I don't need to see hundreds of mails expressing the same opinion just so
nobody wonders what each single one of us thinks. If someone makes a good
argument in a mail, I am happy and I don't have to repeat it or even write
a mail with a +1 (most of the times).

Best regards,
-Stephan