[haiku-development] Re: Voting on Alpha 1 proposals now closed

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:17:25 +0200

Axel Dörfler a écrit :
Now that the voting is over, I have a hard time understanding the rationale behind some decisions. Could those that voted "no" please explain their reasons or answer the my questions on the following matters? Thanks!

3) Create a welcome package
Do you prefer new users see a completely empty desktop on first start? And if so, why?

I didn't vote on that one, not because i didn't agree with it but because there was no adopter and i didn't want it to block/delay the release.

5) Make sure that a live Haiku install can be updated
I think it would be pretty bad if you cannot update your Haiku installation anymore. But maybe I'm missing something here. Or do you think it won't matter, since you always can install a new version over the old one (by booting a new CD) without destroying the contents of the partition?

Same thing, it seemed to me there hadn't been enough discussion on it and thus didn't know the amount of work needed. Maybe a description summarizing the work involved would have helped my choice.

11) Recruit release manager
Do you think we should and can just share the work, or what's your intention by saying no here?

Didn't vote either. I don't have enough info about this proposition, i don't remember seeing it described. Could we detail the process concerning this branch and its maintenance?

35) Include a MDR version with SSL support
Why (on earth) would we want to release a version of MDR without SSL support? It's a compile time option, and it's already there and working.

Same here, lack of info/knowledge in the subject. But if it was clear that the work was already done, i would have voted yes.

So to summarize, i lacked some info, maybe it's my fault and didn't look enough for the answers to my questions. Some propositions were really no brainer to vote for, some were out of my competence, some were lacking discussion. Well, i didn't want to discuss the voting process (or the propositions) while it was taking place, i played by the rules, knowing some things would have to be re-voted and even that we would refine the decision making process, after all, it's the first time we do this. It could be nice if one could quickly create a voting page, with yes/no voting and range voting and commenting, maybe some tools already exists. By the way, thanks Niels for putting this in place, if i can be of any help for the next one.. :)

Regards,
Alex