[haiku-development] Re: VirtualBox crash with 32 bit host but not 64 bit host

  • From: Tim Kelly <gtkelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 12:47:17 -0500

waddlesplash wrote:

Are you sure this is Haiku's fault? Guru Meditations usually are
VirtualBox's fault, IIRC.

-waddlesplash

VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT crashes are not well documented, as far as I can tell. Since the virtual host is already crashed, I am not able to get the Haiku debugger to assist.

In the first type of VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT crash (VERR_PAGE_TABLE_NOT_PRESENT), the stack and instruction pointers are in an area that Haiku doesn't appear to have mapped normally, according to the Haiku debugger, but is well under the 4G limit (in the 2G range). It seems to me the page table comes from the Haiku kernel, not VB, but I am not familiar with the x86 mapping process beyond some basic reading. I wonder if the exception is not being handled.

In the case of the second type of VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT crash, the stack pointer was pointing to null, which suggests a possible trashing during a context switch. The instruction pointer is in the area (0x80xxxxxx) that the first type of crash appears to flag as a problem. Perhaps the two crashes are related, with some sort of page table lookup failure that isn't fully caught.

The exact same install of Haiku won't crash in 64 bit host mode. One possible conclusion is that a 64 bit instruction or algorithm/process has crept into the 32 bit machine dependent part of the kernel.

I can't say it is or isn't a problem with Haiku (nor did I). I only have a sample of one, so I am not making conclusions, just disseminating what I am finding and asking questions. Perhaps the problem is entirely unique to my installation and hardware combination.

During development, is Haiku being run on true 32 bit x86 processors? Has anyone else tried to run VB in 32 bit virtual host mode with Haiku, using the exact same installation in a 64 bit virtual host?

tim

--
A leopard can't change its spots.

-- Society