[haiku-development] Re: Virtual 8086 mode support

  • From: Jan Klötzke <jan.kloetzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:35:17 +0200

Am Sonntag, 20. April 2008 schrieb François Revol:
> Right, though we can also just do it from a kernel thread from a
> driver, as we don't really use it appart from vesa...

Unfortunately it's not possible to use it from kernel threads at all. The
problem is that as soon as a task is switched to vm86 mode it can only
generate addresses in the 1st Mb of the address space. As the kernel teams
address space starts from 0x80000000 it is not possible in principle. So you
have to do it in the context of a user mode task.

> Unless we want to play with virtualization stuff but vm86 is probably
> deprecated for that anyway.

Right. Even though it might be possible now to write/port a dos emulator I
don't think it's worth it.

/Jan