[haiku-development] Re: Virtual 8086 mode support

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 18:08:00 +0200 CEST

Jan Klötzke <jan.kloetzke@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Good news is that I have the in-kernel vm86 mode call working. :-)
> But at the
[...]

Very nice!

> * May it be an option to change the return value of vm_page_fault()
> to know in
> the arch code if the page fault could be handled or not?

I'm not sure why there should be any page faults inside a vm86 call -
wouldn't it be an appropriate requirement to only operate on locked in
memory there?
Or is there something we might not be able to control?
In any case, the vm_page_fault() can always handle the problem - it
will either panic or crash the app in question if there is a more sever
problem. You could also use vm_soft_fault() instead of vm_page_fault()
if you need more control over this.

> * Why are all signals sent to the team (main thread) and not to the
> causing
> thread?

Because then only that thread would be stopped - but you want to stop
the whole app, and thus, the main thread is the target.

Bye,
   Axel.