[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. IV. It is ready to breathe...

  • From: Matt <laceysnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 10:30:02 +1000

> On 2009-05-09 at 02:40:58 [+0200], Matt <laceysnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Is it not possible to have vim (tiny or otherwise) + nano, and then to
>> have an "advanced" install option where the user can choose to have
>> vim set in the editor env var, rather than nano (with nano being the
>> default choice for the basic install)?
>>
>> When I first used Linux distros I used pico and never had trouble
>> working out how to use it, I'd never choose it over vi/vim these days
>> though.
>
> Isn't that a pretty strong argument for just using nano as the only CLI
> editor and let "power" users install vim, if they prefer? It costs only a
> few clicks and everyone is happy.

I guess you're right, and Jonas' point was well made too. I'd rather
it was installed already (even if you have to set the env var
manually) just so you've got it even if you don't have network access.

Or, how about including extra applications on the CD which you can
browse and install after you've installed the OS and booted it up?
Could also put on some extra desktop wallpapers etc., basically a pile
of bonus content that the end user can copy off the CD if desired.