[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. IV. It is ready to breathe...

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 13:08:05 +0200 CEST

Matt <laceysnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is it not possible to have vim (tiny or otherwise)
> + nano, and then to have an "advanced" install
> option where the user can choose to have vim set
> in the editor env var, rather than nano (with nano
> being the default choice for the basic install)?

You find it too hard to set env vars post-install? ;)

One aspect of installing BeOS/Haiku which I would
like to keep is simplicity. Pretty much a straight
copy.

(rant)
No uncessary questions. No config now that can be done
more easily later when the system is up and running.
No EULA or licenses to wade through. No optimizing
(something MacOS X claims to do) or unpacking stuff
that can be done at first -real- boot or later.

(idea)
Speaking about unpacking things, there could be a lot
of small files that are not essential to a Haiku live
CD or the first post-install harddisk boot, which could
be zipped up and unpacked at first boot, -if- that would
make it noticeably easier on the CD drive, having it
waste less time seeking. (E.g. the BeBook, development
tools, Perl, Python, etc. Anything that is non-essential
to a CD boot.)

/Jonas.