[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. IV. It is ready to breathe...

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 18:10:29 -0400

I am a long time Vim user (10+ years) and even on Mac OS X recently I
have moved back to Vim over TextMate because I am just faster at
editing with Vim. Vim can be set up VERY NICELY for editing code with
its indenting plugins and other add ons (I recently discovered
NERDTree and definitely recommend it.) So first, thanks to Siarzhuk
for all his efforts in porting the latest Vim. I at least certainly
appreciate it :)

I will admit that Vim and especially old school vi are not at all
intuitive. I actually cannot stand a Vim that does not have my
standard .vimrc file to configure it. There is also a configuration of
Vim called Cream that is much easier to use (it defaults to insert
mode, uses Ctrl-S to save, etc.) I am not sure it can be used with the
command-line version of Vim, but it might be worth looking into.

As far as the whole issue of command-line editors in Haiku, I think
some sort of vi is needed in the base install. I think Vim is a good
choice for that and it would be best if the command-line Vim was
fairly lightweight. People like me can always add the fancy GUI
version and all the runtime files for a full-on source code editing
Vim. As long as it is lightweight and small I am not totally opposed
to having another "easier to use" command line editor. But I would
hope some form of vi would be kept around as that would be my editor
of choice on the command-line. I could probably come up with a
standard default .vimrc that might help a bit (like putting "type :q!
to quit without saving" in the mode-line at the bottom.) Or just
having the Cream setup mentioned above.

As for some of Siarzhuk's questions I would prefer whatever is the
cleaner approach regarding BApplication threads. Like Ingo says it
should not matter if the main thread or another one runs BApplication,
as long as it is running. I also think vim and gvim should be separate
applications so that "Open With..." works properly. It should be
possible to run multiple command-line vims at the same time, but gvim
can be set as a single launch app if that seems better. That should
handle the cases of trying to re-open the same document.

For those who just hate Vim, I am sorry to hear it because it really
can be a great editor if you take the time to learn it. Though I will
admit the learning curve is pretty big as I still learn some new
things occasionally even after 10 years. But it doesn't take long to
learn the basics, and the knowledge is worth it so you don't ever have
that "I'm trapped in vi" feeling again.

Regards,
Ryan