[haiku-development] Re: Video Problem

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:59:22 +0100

Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > What would be awesome is if video chips dynamically added an entry for
> > the
> > EDID native mode in their VESA BIOS. For my notebook (ATI X1400), I am
> > lucky that the native panel resolution is in the BIOS list, but my
> > external
> > monitor has 1920x1200, and that is not listed.
>
> Unfortunately, that's not possible at all, as even VESA standard 3.0 does
> not allow to set customized resolutions (which is a pretty stupid
> oversight, if you ask me).
> I just found out that the refresh rate can be set with VBE 3.0 only, so
> my latest changes won't help Gerald.

No I mean that the chip modifies it's own VESA BIOS (like one slot is
reserved for the native EDID resolution of the currently attached screen).
This is certainly possible, since for a long time, the Linux way to get a
custom resolution from the Intel driver was to patch it's VESA BIOS. I am
saying the chip could do it itsself. Would be cool anyways, but who cares
about some neat VESA features.

Best regards,
-Stephan