[haiku-development] Re: Video Problem

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:29:59 +0100

Bruno Albuquerque wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:23:27 +1100, Zenja Solaja said:
> > I've got a 22" 1680x1050, and VESA works beautifully here.  Actually,
> > it's suprisingly good.
>
> Also VESA here, and same monitor specs, But no 1680x1050 mode.
>
> > nVidia 8800GT
>
> ATI Radeon HD 3870

What would be awesome is if video chips dynamically added an entry for the
EDID native mode in their VESA BIOS. For my notebook (ATI X1400), I am
lucky that the native panel resolution is in the BIOS list, but my external
monitor has 1920x1200, and that is not listed.

What may also work for most of us is if we could create video drivers for
some modern chips that only allow mode switching. No other accelerated
functions would need to be supported. Then the app_server could use the
frame buffer like it does in VESA mode, which appears to be even faster for
most modern computers, at least when any compositing is involved. (That
being said, I do still have a few ideas how to make that faster when using
the real frame buffer as back buffer with native drivers.)

Someone could for example take the new ATI Radeon specs and write a driver
that only supports mode switching and don't bother about other accelerated
functions. Whoever does that wins 1 week vacation in the beautiful city of
Rostock at the Baltic Sea. (Make sure the driver supports X1400, though!)

Best regards,
-Stephan