[haiku-development] Re: Video Driver Accelerated Drawing Functions

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 22:46:01 +0200

Am 20.08.2010 16:37, schrieb Gerald Zajac:
When developing a video driver, is it a waste of time implementing the
accelerated drawing functions and the hardware cursor functions? Is
Haiku likely to use these functions sometime in the future?

Haiku did use the accelerated drawing functions sometime in the past;
but AFAIK, it has never used the hardware cursor functions.

Haiku will use whatever some contributor makes it use. :-) *Personally* I don't anticipate I will work on making the app_server use the existing acceleration API. Haiku is just fast enough on all my machines. I'd rather spend the time on making it use hardware 3D acceleration, once at least one driver offers it, since this has other benefits than just speed and less power consumption.

Best regards,
-Stephan