[haiku-development] Valgrind for Haiku?

  • From: "Michael Crawford" <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 02:21:34 -0700

Has Valgrind been ported to Haiku?  Google doesn't yield a clear answer.

It is a memory debugger: http://www.valgrind.org/

It is best supported on x86 and PowerPC Linux, but there are efforts
to port it to other platforms.

I've used it on Linux before, and it is incredibly helpful.  It will
find memory bugs that would never manifest themselves visibly during
normal testing and development, but could cause rare, strange and
hard-to-reproduce trouble for end-users.

And... while I've got your attention... how about that blog posting permission?

A bit of happy news is that I scored a half-dozen Pentium III PCs for
free from my friend who runs an e-Waste recycling center.  The only
trouble with the two I've examined so far is that their CD and floppy
drives were worn out and wouldn't read reliably, but they were quite
cheap to replace.

I dropped about a thousand dollars on stuff like 1394b/1394a and USB2
cards, cables and maxing out the memory of these two PCs, and a
dual-layer DVD burner for each of them.  And I bought an IOGear KVM
switch.  So I'm pretty stylin'

I also got a replacement BIOS chip for that motherboard I borked,
flashed with its latest release, for twenty-seven bucks from
http://www.biosman.com/  His advice is to obtain a replacement chip
*before* attempting a BIOS upgrade, in case your flash fails as mine
did.

I'll be making a presentation to the high school kids who run the
e-Waste center on Wednesday, and hope to be able to show them Haiku
running on one of those PCs they gave me.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com

   Enjoy my art, photography, music and writing at
http://www.geometricvisions.com/
        --- Free Compact Disc ---