[haiku-development] [VOTE] Haiku flier funding (was: Haiku flier reprint)

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:23:24 -0800

Howdy,

This is a vote is to:

1) Decide whether the project should fund printing Haiku handout fliers for conferences or not

2) If printing fliers is funded, how much the project should spend for such a purpose

*** Background summary ***

The discussion that lead to this vote is here:

http://www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Haiku-flier-reprint

For the sake of simplicity, here is a summary that will hopefully help people make an informed choice quicker.

I am volunteering my time to create a revised version of the Haiku flier that we have been handing out at conferences and other events. The existing (old) flier looks like this:

http://www.haiku-os.org/files/screenshots/2008-07-26_flyer_LW-2008.png

The plan is to change the overall looks to be more atone with the new website theme, to use one (or more) screenshot(s) with the renewed Haiku UI widgets, and to make some minor adjustments to the text to reflect the fact that we have an actual release now (although the flier will not be version-specific).

The flier is to support Haiku's presence at the following conferences during the whole 2010. For your reference, shown below are the events were will plant to have a Haiku booth at; but the list is still tentative and thus subject to change:

- SCaLE 8:
- OSCON 2010 (San Jose)
- Open Source World (San Francisco)
- Ohio Linux Fest
- Florida Linux Conference

The flier will be subject to community review prior to printing, and the final artwork will be made available for download under a BY-NC-SA Creative Commons license.

Since the issue of paper consumption and its impact in the environment was raised during the discussion, quotes for printing on recycled paper and/or using environmentally friendly processes were also obtained.

*** What is being asked to be funded ***

The offset printing of 1000 US letter size (8.5 x 11) full color fliers, plus shipping costs to point of order (California).

*** Who is eligible to vote ***

All individuals with contributor status (devs and non-devs).

*** Casting your vote ***

First, please refer to this document that lists all the vendors I have received quotes from (vendor names are not shown to ensure neutrality; all prices are in US dollars)...

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tWxx-u_m2jpPDejb-xA2TgA&single=true&gid=0&output=html

...and *send in your vote via reply to this message*.

If you feel that printing Haiku promotional fliers should not be funded by the project, then state "Haiku should not fund printing fliers" as your vote.

If you think Haiku should fund the printing of fliers, use the number under the "#" column to specify one vendor that you think fits best Haiku's needs and the goals of the project in terms of cost, paper type and other considerations.

*** Vote deadline ***

Unless there are any objections, I will keep the vote running until Tuesday Dec. 22, 12:00 noon US Pacific time. I am flexible, so if anyone feels we need more time, please speak out.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Time to make your voice heard now, so go cast your vote!

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki