[haiku-development] Re: VMWare CPU speed

  • From: "David McPaul" <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 19:47:35 +1000

2008/6/8 David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2008/6/7 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> "David McPaul" <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> What determines the detected CPU speed?
>>>
>>> Currently when I boot into VMWare Haiku detects the CPU speed as
>>> 3.6Ghz instead of what it actually is 2.2Ghz
>>>
>>> This causes the menu code to not work properly as I presume all the
>>> timing functions are out.
>>>
>>> Is there anything I can do to figure out what is going wrong?
>>
>> Yes, you can disable the clock adaption in Linux - when it always runs
>> with full speed, the timing routine won't get confused.
>> The timing code is in the boot loader in platform/bios_ia32/cpu.cpp. We
>> might want to replace this with the CPU frequency reported by the BIOS,
>> maybe, or only keep it as a fall back.
>
> Well I am running under Windows XP.  Speedstep is supposed to be
> disabled.  I don't know if this is a regression but it used to work I
> believe.

I found a VMWare support FAQ that mentions a known issue with VMWare
player.  Sometimes the Host CPU speed is misdetected by VMWare itself
if the host CPU has been running for a long time.  (My machine is
rarrely rebooted)

Jun 08 16:07:04.187: vmx| VMMon_GetkHzEstimate: Calculated 35337071 kHz
Jun 08 16:07:04.187: vmx| Measured CPU as 35337071 kHz, but OS says
2210000 kHz; using 35337071

Rebooting is apparently the only fix.

So for now it is ok
Jun 08 17:38:49.250: vmx| VMMon_GetkHzEstimate: Calculated 2210189 kHz
Jun 08 17:38:49.265: vmx| VMMon_RememberkHzEstimate: Calculated 2210189 kHz

--
Cheers
David