[haiku-development] Re: User interaction while mounting filesystems

  • From: Janito Ferreira Filho <jvffprog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:09:08 +0000

Hi,

sorry for the two different replies, but I thought it would better
organize the information flow. Please tell me if it's better etiquette to join
them into a single reply. Thanks =).

> axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> One problem is that if mounting fails, you need someone to talk to that
> delivers the data for the alerts (that needs some context information).
> And you sure don't want to see any alerts when mounting from a
> terminal.
> IOW you need a mechanism where you (the one initiating the mounting
> procedure) decide how the information/requests are presented.
> File systems already have a userspace add-on that could deliver
> functionality in this regard.

Okay, just like the Linux (or probably POSIX, since I think it's easily ported)
e2fstools. How does it work on Haiku? Is there a tracker add-on, and a separate
terminal tool for mounting? What tools would be required? Or would it be better
to port e2fstools?

> BTW if you mount a volume, its log is replayed automatically; ie. you
> would need to introduce extra mount flags (or file system specific
> options) in order to prevent or control this.
> However, a password for an encrypted or remote file system would be
> another use case, as would be a file system error that let's it switch
> to read-only mode in the fly (although that would rather be a case
> where you would want to broadcast the error message through all
> channels).

It's log is replayed in the sense it does write blocks that are ready in the
journal? Even in read-only? Would it be wasteful to cache the blocks to be
altered in memory (without committing the journal) when mounting in read-only?
This way we don't alter the data on the device (true read-only) and we still
have a consistent file system.

> We're not yet sure who will be mentoring what project, so you currently
> can only assume that there is someone for you :-)

Thanks! (Sorry for asking too much about it, but I read somewhere about GSOC
that I had to contact the mentors).

Janito